Thursday, July 25, 2013

Political Catch Up!

So I've been super busy the past week and blogging kind of fell apart with the whole running around doing everything & trying to see everything in such a short amount of time. Now that I have a free afternoon, I figured I'd take the time to sit down and write about a lot of the things that have been going on the past week and a half or so since I've last blogged. By free afternoon, I mean 2 hours til my friends get out of class and we go shopping, but I'm sure you knew what I meant ;-)

First, I wanted to fill everyone in on what's been going on in Greece the last few days, because it's been very interesting, especially the people I've got to talk to and interact with! Last week, a major vote was made in Parliament to lay off a lot of the civil service workers in the area. The layoffs brought many many protests but all were safe and easy to avoid. We did get to hear a few from our apartment because we are so close to Syntagma Square, where the Parliament building is located. Definitely safe as you can ask my parents who were here for the "major" protest day and they did not mind it. 

Someone explained to us that the problem with the media in the US is that they tend to make the protests seem much more violent than what they really are. Basically, a lot of middle class workers come out and walk the street to protest, while a handful of loud, rowdy, some Anarchists walk in the back screaming yelling and throwing things. Thats the part you see on tv, not the peaceful walkers, who would have guessed?

Another interesting thing are the visits that have been going on the past few weeks. The German Finance Minister came to visit. Apparently, relations between Greece and Germany are not the greatest, so the media coverage of the German visitor was very serious and did not have good reviews from people. During the visit many of the streets were blocked off and there were an insane amount of police and riot control there. A few days later, The US equivalent Finance Policies came to visit and stressed the importance of Greece growing. The visit was more relaxed, he went on tours and got great reviews from the people! They didn't end up needed near as many police out for that visit. Whats good is that with the US getting such great reviews, the US is moving up in Greek people's eyes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment